Sunday, September 21, 2008

Peaches, Chicken, and Guitar Hero

It's been bottling week at my house. We bought some peaches last weekend and I spent any free time I had making jam and putting up the peaches. It's totally worth it later, but during the time I am doing it, I wonder. We did spend time as a family, working together. The boys blanched and peeled, Mike cut, I filled the bottles. If I was better, I would have a picture of it. Kate was at basketball and Kenna just played. It is better to work together. I also had a friend come over on Wednesday who had never bottled peaches and I taught her how. We spent the afternoon getting hers done. How did those women who bottled everything for their families to live on all winter do it? I was exhausted by the end of the week and my house was a wreck because I didn't have time to clean it. I felt like such a wimp. I generally like to be busy and I don't think I to lazy, but holy cow.
On Tuesday, I spent the day in Preston with one of my girlfriends, canning chicken. That was an experience. I had bought eighty lbs of chicken, because you take up your own. It was this crazy place, very old. You just put your meat or whatever in a can. People were canning pears, potatoes, carrots or even chili and soup. Anyway, after we put the chicken in the can, they put it in this steam cooker thing and cooked it. When it was done, you put the lid on, then they put it in a huge pressure cooker for more time. It looks like this when it's done. I put 3-4 chicken breasts in a can. It was totally worth it. I have a ton of chicken in my storage and it's super easy to use as it's already cooked.

Now for my guilty pleasure. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I love Guitar Hero. I'm pretty good to. I don't care much for video games and my kids will be the first to tell you I'm mean about limiting their screen time. Connor bought Guitar Hero. I have to admit when I first heard about this game, I didn't understand why so many people liked it, but I am hooked. I do limit my time and I didn't play at all last week with all that crazy canning, but I played yesterday. Maybe it's my unfulfilled secret desire to be a star. It bugs my boys that I am better at this game than they are.

Here are some random pictures from the week. This is where Kenna is sleeping tonight. Chase with Mike's new fish tank. He got this at a garage sale for $25 dollars. It had rocks, filter, everything with it except fish. It even had some unopend filters in it that were the wrong size. Mike took them back to Petsmart for a $20 credit. Sweet deal if you like fish tanks. Summer is officially over when the pool goes down.

4 comments:

jo said...

GUITAR HERO ROCKS!!! I played my sister's boyfriends when he brought it over while I was down home and... I could totally get addicted to it!!! SO FUN! As for the canning...lots of work...I don't know how they canned everything, either?!?! That's good you involved your kids...best way to teach them the value of it....even though they probably won't say so until they are old like us :) Have a good, maybe less busy of a week !

crazy lady said...

Your own canning is SO much better than what you can buy but I agree - in the midst of the mess, stickiness and heat of it all you've got to wonder. My friend does her canning outside on one of those gas cooker stoves. Saves her a lot of mess inside and it doesn't heat up the house. I'm SO impressed that you got that all done. And the canned chicken is the BEST! I used to do that at the cannery here, then they moved the cannery to IF and I haven't done it since. Bummer...
I am SOOOO bad at guitar hero! I played it when we were in Arizona and it was pathetic at best. But, I can see how one could get hooked. I still think if I had one I could get better....

michandler said...

The fact that you even can these days is amazing. I know alot of people do (especially those darn Mormons). Not me. I think the canning, bread making gene skipped me somehow. As close as I get to any of that is making freezer jam. But kudos to anyone who cans!
I've never played guitar hero but the boys love it. We don't have the game at home but over the summer they went to the community center above our house quite a bit to do it. Given my addictive personality I'm afraid I would get obsessive about is so it's best to avoid it altogether!

Lost Woman said...

I'm intrigued by this guitar hero thing. I have no clue what it is, but I feel certain I want to be one. You will have to show me the scoop on my next visit.
As for the peaches... I'm jealous... not of the canning part, but the fresh good peaches part.
Every year I miss out on fresh corn and peach season. (it's not so great down here)

I'm so down with Mike on the $25 fish tank! That is a score! My new "garage sale" is Craigslist...it is huge here and I love love looking.

Sad to see the pool go down.